PJ-3 Tablet Four-Usage Tester
PJ-3 Tablet Four-Usage Tester
It has four functions: detecting pharmic dissolution, disintegration, friability/abrasion and hardness of tablet.
- National standard( Chinese codex ) /2010
- Corporate standard (Dissolution tester) Q/12XQ0187-2010
- Corporate standard (Disintegration tester) Q/12XQ0188-2010
- Corporate standard(Tablet friability tester) Q/12XQ0189-2010
- Corporate standard (Tablet hardness tester )Q/12XQ0186-2010
- Intellectualized, auto-control, auto-test, auto-diagnose, auto-alarm.
- The circular water current pumped by magnetism pump can heat the system equally, and the bath liquid can achieve an even temperature.
- Temperature is high accurately auto-controlled.
- Auto stop at timing point.
- Parameters can be preset at any time, the preset and real data are displayed alternately in time.
- It has three vessels and three poles arranged on one line. The head part of the instrument can be artificially turned over smoothly and flexibly.
- Two disintegrations run synchronously. Auto stop at timing point.
- High accuracy is achieved in testing rotary speed and counting friability.
- The hardness has high accuracy press sensor and hardness data is displayed in Newton.
- It tests tablet hardness continuously. The tablet is loaded and pressed artificially.
- Auto-display, auto-memorize, auto-reset, auto-retest.
PJ-3 Tablet Four-Usage Tester
|Tablet Four-Usage Tester||PJ-3|
|Temperature range||(ambient to +39.9℃)±0.3℃|
|Speed range||( 20—200)rpm ± 2rpm|
|Automatic time range||( 1—900)min ± 0.5min|
|Stations of dissolution||3|
|Paddle radial run-out||± 0.5mm|
|Basket radial run-out||± 1.0mm|
|Nacelle back and forth frequency||(30—32)/min|
|Nacelle back and forth range||(55 ± 2)/mm|
|Drum’s size radius||286 mm depth :39mm|
|Hardness range||(2-200) N|
|Probe procession range||(3-20)mm|
|Power||220V/50HZ/600W or 110V/60HZ/600W|
|Dimension||(520 x 380 x 470) mm3|
Table Tester: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
If you’re running the tablet compression business, a tablet tester is a must-have instrument.
More importantly, you need an accurate, modern, and high-quality tablet tester machine for improved profitability.
This guide will answer all questions you have been asking about tablet tester equipment.
Let’s dive right in.
- What is a Tablet Tester?
- Why should you Test Tablets?
- What Parameters does Tablet Tester Examine?
- What Tablet Tester Machine do you use to Test Tablets?
- What is the Difference Between Automatic Tablets Tester and Manual Tablet Tester?
- What is the Quality Control Parameters Should Tablet Tester Evaluate?
- What Units of Measurement does a Tablet Tester use?
- Which are the Industrial Applications of a Tablet Tester?
- What are Quality Standards of a Tablet Tester?
- How do you Test Tablet Hardness?
- What are the Different Types of Tablets you can Test using a Tablet Tester?
- What are the Limitations of a Tablet Tester?
- Can you Test Different Types and Sizes of Tablets with a Tablet Tester?
- What is Assay Tablet Testing?
- How do you Maintain Tablet Testers?
- What should you Consider Before Choosing a Tablet Tester?
- What are the Advantages of a Tablet Tester?
- How do you Calibrate Hardness Tablet Tester Machine?
- What are the Common Manufacturing Defects on Tablet Drugs?
- How much do Tablet Tester Cost?
- Can you Integrate Tablet Tester Machine with other Tablet Manufacturing Equipment?
- Apart from Tablet Tester, which other Machine can you use to Control Quality in Tablet Compression Process?
- What are the Benefits of Digital Tablet Tester Machine?
What is a Tablet Tester?
A tablet tester is a piece of equipment that determines the quality, diameter, thickness, weight, and hardness of tablets.
Tablet hardness tester
Why should you Test Tablets?
You are to test tablets to make sure they are of the correct and recommended standards.
A tablet tester will test the hardness, control, diameter, and thickness of the tablets.
Some of the reasons as to why you are to test tablets include:
- If the tablets are too soft, they will crumble during transportation.
- If a tablet is too hard, it may damage the teeth of the consumer.
- The tablet you make has to be within the required limits.
- To check whether the tablet is of good quality and that it meets specific quality standards.
- To ensure the tablet is safe, stable, and efficient.
High quality vs low-quality tablets
What Parameters does Tablet Tester Examine?
You will use a tablet tester to test the following parameters:
- The diameter of the tablet
- The hardness of the tablet
- The thickness of the tablet
- The control of the tablet
What Tablet Tester Machine do you use to Test Tablets?
There are a variety of tablet testers that you are to use to test tablets.
The tablet testers all have some defined parameters that they test.
It is best to have all these tablet testers for you to test the tablets extensively.
Here are some of the tablet tester machines you can use to test tablets:
Cap Torque Tester
A cap torque tester will cap bottles and containers holding tablets.
It provides repeatable and reliable capping.
Tapped Density Tester
A tap density tester tests the tap density of granules, powders, or similar products.
It also determines how much settlement will occur during transportation to improve the size of packets.
The flowability tester provides a method of determining flow problems.
You will determine the flow problems of various blends during the manufacturing process.
A friability tester will record the weight of the tablets before and after the test is done.
It calculates the percent weight loss of the tablets.
It inspects the physical strength of the tablets.
A disintegration tester tests if a tablet will crumble.
For instance, a very soft tablet indicates a weak bond.
Meaning it may dissolve prematurely when a patient consumes it.
On the other hand, a hard tablet may inhibit it from disintegrating as required.
Tablet Hardness Tester
This machine will test coated, delayed-release, and regular tablets.
A tablet hardness tester operates on the principle it applies a specific force to break or fracture a tablet.
What is the Difference Between Automatic Tablets Tester and Manual Tablet Tester?
An automatic tablet tester performs all functions by itself.
A manual tablet tester needs some human involvement in testing tablets.
You can use an automatic tablet tester to test various tablet shapes and sizes without altering settings.
An automatic tablet tester is more efficient than a manual tablet tester.
An automatic tablet tester will cost more than a manual tablet tester.
What is the Quality Control Parameters Should Tablet Tester Evaluate?
Quality control mainly monitors the whole process of tablet testing.
Quality control is a process taken when testing tablets to ensure it meets all set recommended standards.
You measure all actual quality, compare it with the standard rate, and then find out what caused the variation.
The quality parameters that a tablet tester should evaluate include:
Tablet Friability Tester
In the weigh variation test, you will weigh 20 tablets randomly to determine their weights.
You will then compare the individual tablet weight to the standard value.
The factors responsible for weight variation include:
- The degree of segregation.
- The flow properties.
The Friability of a tablet is where the surface is destroyed due to mechanical shock.
This means the tablet’s surface is eroded; thus, some material is lost from the formed tablet.
You will test for this quality to ensure the tablets do not break during transportation and handling.
The tablets you make require a certain amount of firmness to handle mechanical shocks.
Also, mechanical shocks are experienced during manufacture, packaging, and shipping.
The factors that determine the hardness of a tablet include:
- The moisture content.
- The compression forces.
- The congregation of the binder.
This quality control determines if the tablet will break into smaller particles or granules.
Besides, this test determines how long the tablets take to break up into particles when exposed to certain conditions.
You will determine the thickness of a tablet by its diameter.
You are to control thickness for the consumer to accept the tablet and to assist in packaging.
The factors that determine the thickness include:
- The compression forces.
- The size distribution.
You mostly administer tablets orally.
The rate at which the tablet dissolves is a crucial factor to consider when delivering the drugs.
The tablets should not be too soft or too hard.
This quality control ensures tablets have a consistency of ingredients.
Some factors that determine content uniformity include:
- The weight variation of the tablet.
- Irregular distribution of the powder or granules in the tablet.
- The separation of the powder mixture in the formulation process.
What Units of Measurement does a Tablet Tester use?
A tablet tester uses the International System of Units to measure tablets.
Some of the measurements units that a tablet tester uses include:
i. Pound [lb]
Generally, the pound is a unit of mass.
You can also use it to measure force.
North Americans use it to measure tablet strength.
2.204 pounds is equal to 1 kilogram.
ii. Kilogram [kg]
The kilogram is identified as the primary unit of mass by the SI system.
iii. Kilopond [Kp]
This unit of force is also known as a kilogram of force.
The SI system does not accept kiloponds.
One kilopond is equal to 1 kg/f.
iv. Newton [N]
The SI unit of force is Newton and measures tablet hardness.
9.807 Newton is equal to 1 kilogram.
v. Strong-Cobb [SC]
Strong-Cobb is a measurement unit that the first tablet testing machines applied.
It is an inconsistent unit not recognized by the SI system.
1.4 Strong-Cobs is roughly equal to 1 kg.
Which are the Industrial Applications of a Tablet Tester?
Pharmaceutical industries mainly use tablet testers.
Of course, food processing industries making pills or tablets can use tablet testing machine.
Other industries may include chemical processing.
What are Quality Standards of a Tablet Tester?
All tablet testers should adhere to the quality standards set by international organs.
Some of the quality standards that a tablet tester should adhere to include:
Current Good Manufacturing Practice Quality Standard
CGMP ensures that all tablet testers have:
- The best designs.
- Produce the best quality.
- Have the recommended strength.
- Produce pure products
- Should be hygienic and eliminate the possibility of contamination
Tablet Tester USP Quality Standard
You are to adhere to several factors when using a tablet tester.
These factors are in the current USP chapter <1217> in USP 31 NF6 named “Tablet Breaking Force.”
Some of the USP quality standards to consider include:
- The rate and uniformity of loading.
- The platens.
- The resolution, calibration, and units.
Other standards include CE, RoHS and CCC, alongside other standards as stipulated by the local authority.
How do you Test Tablet Hardness?
Testing for hardness involves the basic movements of a jaw that presses the tablets within two plates.
The force exerted will cause the tablet to fracture hence determining the needed force.
You will place the tablet between the two jaws when you are testing for hardness.
The jaws press the tablet until the tablet breaks.
Once the tablet breaks, the jaws move apart and record the force that was applied.
You will use the following processes to test for tablet hardness:
Three-point Bend Testing
This testing is widespread for oval capsules as well as broad tablets.
You will hold the tablet on two ends then impair it at the center using a knife-like probe.
This will make the tablet crack at a weak point.
You will squeeze the tablet between a moving and a fixed jaw.
The moving jaw applies force until the tablet begins to break.
You then record the reading once the tablet breaks.
What are the Different Types of Tablets you can Test using a Tablet Tester?
You can test several tablets using a tablet tester.
Some of the tablets you can test with a tablet tester include:
Sublingual and Buccal Tablets
You will place a sublingual tablet under the tongue.
Also, you will place a buccal tablet between the gum and cheek area.
An effervescent tablet is one that dissolves in water and releases carbon dioxide as a by-product.
Chewable tablets are generally big hence challenging to swallow.
That is why yo they are chewed before swallowing.
Eccentric-coated tablets are also known as gastro-resistant tablets.
These tablets are resistant to the acidity of gastric juices.
These tablets are covered with sugar to make it sweet to swallow.
A colored thin layer of polymer covers a film-coated tablet.
Compressed tablets dissolve quickly once swallowed.
They are the most common type of tablets.
Lozenges dissolve slowly in the mouth.
They are flavored.
You will dissolve hypodermic tablets in water and then use a syringe to administer it parenterally.
You will use these tablets as a benefit for extemporaneous compounding.
These tablets contain a small dose of a potent drug that is mixed with lactose and sucrose.
A coat of one or two-colored gelatin covers these tablets.
Multiple Compressed Tablets
These tablets have two or more layers in them.
Rapid Release Tablets
Rapid release tablets dissolve quickly in the mouth.
Some dissolve within a minute while others within 10 seconds.
These tablets release their medication slowly over a long time.
These tablets dissolve and release their medication.
These tablets will give a prolonged release of the drugs.
They can last for a month or a year.
What are the Limitations of a Tablet Tester?
Illustration of hardness tablet tester machine
A tablet tester has several limitations.
For instance, some tablet testers are expensive, meaning you have to spend more to acquire them.
You also need to know how to use tablet testers.
This will include:
- Operating the tablet tester machine
- Knowing how to read or interpret the results
- Implementing the tablet test results
Can you Test Different Types and Sizes of Tablets with a Tablet Tester?
Yes, you can test different tablet sizes using a tablet tester.
The design of the tablet testers enables it to hold tablets of varying shapes and sizes.
You can test tablets that are from 2mm to 13mm in size.
What is Assay Tablet Testing?
An assay tablet testing analyses the tablets to determine:
- The biological potency of the tablets.
- The presence and amount of the substance in a tablet
How do you Maintain Tablet Testers?
You are to maintain tablet testers to be in the right working conditions and last for long.
It is essential to do regular inspections on the tablet testers.
You should replace any broken parts.
Also, you should repair any worn-out parts.
It is necessary to replace the broken parts with genuine parts recommended by the manufacturer.
It would help if you cleaned the tablet tester once you have completed the tests.
You are required to replace the batteries.
If the fuse blows out, you are to replace it immediately.
What should you Consider Before Choosing a Tablet Tester?
There are many things you should consider before choosing a tablet testing machine.
Some of the factors to consider include:
Tablet disintegration tester
Consider what you need to do with the tablet tester in the lab.
For instance, you may wish to:
- Use it for a simple goal
- Move around with the testing kit
- Test many batches at the same time
You are to verify all the pharmacopeial compliance.
In addition to this, make sure the tablet tester complies with international bodies’ quality standards.
The amount you have will determine the kind of tablet tester you will buy.
What are the Advantages of a Tablet Tester?
A tablet tester has many advantages.
Some of the advantages of a tablet tester include:
- You will be able to produce quality tablets.
- You will be able to test a large number of tablets in a short time.
- The tablets you test will be able to last for long and not disintegrate quickly.
- You will be able to test the hardness of a tablet.
- You will be able to test the dissolution of a tablet.
- You will be able to test the friability of a tablet.
- You will be able to test the disintegration of a tablet.
How do you Calibrate Hardness Tablet Tester Machine?
These are the steps you will take to calibrate a harness tablet tester machine.
- First, you are to take out the force gauge that you are to calibrate is to be calibrated then hold it vertically.
- You are then to adjust the zero that is on the force gauge.
- Next, you will apply standard weights to the hook on the force gauge.
- You will then measure the tension applied to the force gauge.
- When you do this, 1kg of standard weigh applied, then the force gauge should indicate a tension of 1kg.
- You will see this from the original point where the pointer is adjusted.
- In the next step, you will remove the weights and then adjust the zero on the force gauge once more.
- You are then to repeat the procedure for the other weights you have.
- You are to test for 1kg, 2kg, 5kg, 10kg, 20kg, and 30kg standard weights.
- With the calibration, you will allow a variance of ±0.25kg or ±0.1kg.
- You are to conduct this calibration test at least once every six months.
- When the equipment does not meet the specified steps above, label it as Out of Calibration.
- Once labeled, get it repaired or serviced.
- After the service is complete, you are to do the calibration test once again.
What are the Common Manufacturing Defects on Tablet Drugs?
Manufacturing defects on tablet drugs will lead to decreased production.
You will lose time and money.
Some of the manufacturing defects on tablet drugs include:
- Double impression
The most common manufacturing defects are:
- Sticking or picking
- Laminating or capping
These defects come about due to:
- A problematic tablet press.
- Formulation defects.
- A problematic upstream unit.
- Low compressibility and flow of powder.
- Compression failure.
- Too dry or wet products.
- Low-quality raw materials
- Too many fines caused by the milling process, such as capping, black spots, lamination, and hardness.
How much do Tablet Tester Cost?
The material and technology will determine the price of a tablet tester.
Low-quality tablet testers cost less than high-quality tablet testers.
Also, large scale tablet testers cost more than small scale tablet testers.
The price of a tablet tester can range from 200 US Dollars to 16,000 US Dollars.
Can you Integrate Tablet Tester Machine with other Tablet Manufacturing Equipment?
Yes, you can integrate other tablet manufacturing equipment with a tablet tester.
The equipment will assist you in performing all operations sequentially.
For instance, you can integrate machines with:
i. Tablet press machine
ii. Tablet coating machine
iii. Tablet deduster machine
iv. Pharmaceutical packaging machines
Apart from Tablet Tester, which other Machine can you use to Control Quality in Tablet Compression Process?
You can control the quality of tablet compression using the following machines:
Multi-station or Rotary Press
A multi-station uses many tooling stations that rotate to compress powder into tablets.
It has a high output of tablets.
The upper and lower punch both exert pressure to compress powder at the center.
Together with the number of stations on the press, the turret’s rotation speed determines the capacity.
The advantages of a rotary press include:
- The machine can independently control the hardness and weight of tablets.
- It has high productivity with minimal human labor.
- It saves money.
- It has an output of between 9000 to 234000 tablets per hour.
- The moving feeder automatically manages the powder-filled cavity.
Single Station or Eccentric Press
This is the most straightforward tablet compression machine.
A single station uses one set of tools to make compressions.
The upper part of the machine moves to make the compression while the lower part is static.
An eccentric press produces approximately 60 to 80 tablets per minute.
The advantages of a single punch tablet press include:
- It is small in size.
- It can manufacture tablets of odd shapes.
- It is ideal for a small production of tablets.
- It is easy to run.
What are the Benefits of Digital Tablet Tester Machine?
Digital tablet testers are taking over from non-digital, problematic, and costly handheld testers.
Digital hardness tablet tester
Normally, the digital tablet tester machines are:
- Compact and straightforward
- Easy to operate
- Relatively affordable
- Easy to calibrate
- Accurate and precise
- Eliminate possible error when reading results
With the information in this guide, you can easily choose reliable and accurate tablet tester equipment.
At SaintyCo, we have a range of pharmaceutical instruments.
They are fully configured to meet both international and local measurement systems.
Contact us today for all your tablet tester equipment.