Labelers/Labeling machines come in numerous configurations dependent on the type of packaging that needs to be labeled. Saintyco Machinery offers many choices such as top labeling, bottom labeling, wrap labeling, front and back labeling,etc.
Labelling Machine: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
1. What is a Labelling Machine?
A labelling machine is exactly what the name implies.
It is electromechanical equipment that creates attractive and useful labels for any purpose.
This machine dispenses, applies, or prints-and-applies labels to various items, products and packages.
2. What is Labelling Machine used for?
A labelling equipment can be used to input bar codes, content description labels, color labels as well as pharmaceutical labels on products and packages.
3. Which Types of Labelling Machines are there?
There is a variety of labelling machines on the market ranging from high production machines to manual units.
High production units allow for complete automation of the labelling process.
Manual units, on the other hand, provide simple label dispensing in manufacturing and packaging processes.
Manual labelling machines as already mentioned apply a very simple labelling mechanism.
They are also pretty simple to operate.
These units can place labels accurately in a position to give a unique and consistent look.
Usually, products/items are placed on the manual labeler, the machine is activated by a switch which prompts label application over the products/items within a split of a second.
After labels have been applied to the items, the operator removes the items and places a new batch for continuing the process.
Manual labelling machines can also easily be maintained.
Automatic labelling machines are reliable, fast and efficient.
They provide a safety system which puts all labelling processes on hold in case something goes wrong.
It is due to these reasons that automated labelling systems are preferred in high production applications.
These automatic units are known to be quite efficient in controlling label wastage.
Being that they are wholly automated, these kind of labellers are highly suitable for overlap labelling as well as other technical labelling processes.
With an automatic labelling machine, you won’t have to worry about issues such as time consumption, label rejection, wastage, and costly labor.
Automatic labelers can further be classified as multi-function, high speed, vertical, and horizontal labelling machines.
4. Which Industries use Labelling Machine?
Labelling machines are used in a wide range of industries such as;
- Food and beverage
5. What are the Main Components of a Labelling Machine?
A labelling machine is an assembly of various parts and components that work in coordination to complete a labelling cycle.
The main parts and components in this case are;
- Feeder; the feeder/hopper is a critical part of the labelling machine. It ensures the proper feeding of products/materials/packages into the machine for labelling
- Date printing setting; this is a feature that comes with an advanced labelling machine. Its function is to print the dates of manufacture, expiry and batch number on items. It is more of a setting than a part and you’ll find on the machine’s control panel
- Labelling station; this consists of the labelling head and labelling pad which allow for labelling of different product shapes and sizes
- Control panel; advanced label applicator machines come with a touch screen control panel. This enables you to operate the machine with ease. It is on the control panel that you set your preferred operating parameters, such as labelling speed, date print, etc.
- Conveyor belt; Its function is to ensure smooth movement of products/packages from one station to another on the machine
- Motor; this is the heart of the labelling machine. It powers it to ensure smooth running during labelling processes
- Roller system; this is part of the machine’s drive mechanism as it is connected to the motor and conveyor belt. It consists of different rollers that assist in moving products from point A to point B.
- Label plate; this is a spot where labels to be used are put. The machine automatically picks labels from this spot as it applies them on products/containers/packages etc.
- Discharge mechanism; this is a system that helps to ensure accuracy during labelling operations. The discharge mechanism detects items that have been erroneously labelled and discharges them from the machine.
- Safety system; this comprises of all the safety features of the machine. It includes emergency buttons, on/off switches, alarm indicators, among others.
6. What are the Benefits of a Labelling Machine?
A labelling machine that is good quality will be able to help you and provide you with satisfactory results.
This machine has a range of advantages that include;
- Available in any design of your choice; you can get the labelling machine custom-designed to suit your specific application needs. All you need to do is provide the manufacturer with your unique requirements and they can provide you with a befitting unit for your application.
- It is user-friendly; labelling machines are generally easy to use. Automatic models are even better as you don’t need to change any parts during the labelling process. These units are handy, user-friendly and very easy to handle. Set up with this machine is easy. Anybody can operate it, whether it is a manual or automatic unit. The operator may need a little bit of training for the complex models.
- Gives out a high production rate; if you are a business that needs to print a substantial amount of labels as fast as possible, a labelling machine will definitely benefit you. It will speed up the labelling process and improve your overall output.
- Provides high levels of accuracy; a labelling machine allows uniform and accurate labelling on items. It can apply all kinds of labels on a variety of products and packages
- With a labelling machine, the need for labor is not too high as only a minimum number of personnel is required
- There is also a very little amount of wastage during labelling when using a labelling machine
7. Are there Design Considerations for Labelling Machine?
When it comes to labelling machines, there are several options.
However, you need to keep in mind that you will need to buy a unit that works with the dimensions of the items you want to label.
For example; “rounds” machines are not good for flat items.
Also, if you want both sides of your product labelled, you may need to pick a machine that is specified for that since not all of them do.
As you choose a labelling equipment for your application, make sure that the design is suitable for your needs.
To ensure this, consider the following factors;
Machine for labelling
- Change parts
- Power consumption
- Rejection percentage
- Production rate
- Material quality
- Performance specs
- The rigidity of the construction
You may also want to verify if your supplier offers after-sales services as this may come in handy after purchase.
8. How does Labelling Machine Work?
The labelling process involves feeding of items through the feeder and conveyor belt, glueing and picking of labels from the label plate and applying the labels on the items.
Here is a breakdown of the step by step process of how a labelling machine works.
Step 1: Feed Items into the Machine
After switching on the machine, the process starts in the feeding hopper where items to be labelled is fed into the machine.
Step 2: Items Move to the Labelling Station
Through the conveyor belt, the items move in a synchronized motion from the feeder to the labelling station.
This movement is also aided by an in-feed scroll that ensures correct spacing of items as they move from the hopper.
Step 3: Label Application
At the label distribution area, items are put in place at a set speed as the machine automatic glues the items and pick labels from the label plate.
The machine then applies the labels on the product and moves it to the discharge chute.
Other items keep coming in for labelling and being moved to the discharge chute.
Step 4: Ejection
Once items have been labelled as in step 3 above, they leave the station via the discharge chute.
While in the discharge chute, a sensor automatically detects any erroneous labels which you’ll separate from the batch if there are any.
From the discharge chute, uniformly and accurately label items are ejected from the machine ready for packaging.
Please note; the working principle of a product label machine involves several movements and stops.
It accelerates at some point and decelerates at another to ensure proper and accurate labelling of products.
Here is a video to help you understand how this process works in-depth
9. What is the Importance of Product Labelling?
Product labelling is very important.
It is one of the primary ways through which customers can differentiate between individual products and brands to make informed buying choices.
Labelling allows you to communicate important product information such as manufacture and expiry dates, quantity, list of features, etc.
It also allows you to provide critical information such as the ingredients used in the product.
This is essential for food, beverage, cosmetic and pharmaceutical products.
For products that require usage guidelines, labels allow you to communicate these instructions to customers.
Another importance of product labelling is to grab the customer’s attention.
Labels are a great way to create visual appeal and lure customers to your product.
They are able to enhance the appeal of a product making it stand out from other similar products on a shelf.
Also, in many countries, product labelling is essential as a legal requirement.
Most product labelling policies require that products be labelled to show the date of manufacture and expiry, ingredients used, batch no, safety and usage instructions etc.
10. What Materials can you use with Labelling Machine?
As earlier mentioned, label applicator machines are designed to apply labels to a variety of products, containers, packages, bottles etc.
These machines can adhere labels to a variety of surface materials such as aluminum, plastic, glass, fiberglass, steel, etc.
11. What are the Main Features of a Good Product Label?
A good product label mustcontain the following features;
- Basic brand information including name, address, certification etc.
- Product ingredients
- Instructions for use
Apart from these, good labels should feature information written in simple, easy to read fonts.
It should also have a great color combination.
The color of the label and wordings should correspond well to the color of the product/package.
Great graphics should also be considered when creating product labels as should the finishing on the label.
Don’t forget, quality label material is critical.
And last but not least, the label must be suitably sized and shaped for the item.
12. Are there Additional Functionalities Labelling Machine come with?
Yes, machine functionality varies depending on the unit design and level of automation.
Fully automatic units come with additional functionalities such as HMI touch screen control panels and PLC operating systems.
These help to make the operation easier and faster.
Compared to manual units, these are costly but highly convenient for high-speed production runs.
Labelling machine parts
13. How does Multi-function Labelling Machine compare to Standard Labelling Machines?
A multifunction labelling machine has the ability to label containers of varied shapes and sizes in one run.
Standard units are designed for specific types of containers.
For instance, a “flats” labelling machine can only label flat items not round or cylindrical containers.
But a multifunction unit can label both flat and round containers in one machine at the same time.
Also, these multifunction labeller models come with very high speeds, are rigid and durable and also relatively easy to operate.
They are mostly suited for complex industrial applications.
14. Are there Quality Standards for a Labelling Machine?
Yes. Apart from ensuring quality and sturdy construction, labelling machines must meet certain standards for quality, reliability and performance.
These standards are set by the industry and every manufacturer must meet them when producing labelling machines.
- Current good manufacturing practices (cGMP)
- ISO certification quality standards
- CE quality standards
15. Why Invest in SaintyCo Labelling Machine?
One, SaintyCo is a leading manufacturer of some of the most innovative and advanced labelling machines on the market.
Two, we provide a range of labelling machines.
You can choose from stock designs to custom designs that we make according to your needs.
Three, all our machines are designed and built-in compliance with the set quality and legal standards.
Last but not least, our labelling machines are available in manual, semi-automatic and fully automatic option.
16. SaintyCo offers which Labelling Machines?
SaintyCo’s range of labelling machines comprises of the following unit models;
- LR-250X Cylinder Labelling Machine
- TBL-60/TBL-60D Labelling Machine
- TB-80/TB-80D Paste Labelling Machine
- SHL-5510 Multi-function Labelling Machine
- SHL-3520 Multiple Surface Labelling Machine
- SHL-3510 Automatic Two-side Labelling Machine
- SHL-2586 Horizontal Labelling Machine
- SHL-2582 Horizontal Wrap-around Labelling Machine
- SHL-2570 High-Speed Wrap-around Labelling Machine
- SHL-2560 Point Wrap-around Labelling Machine
- SHL-2520 Vertical Labelling Machine
- SHL-1582 Horizontal Labelling Machine
- SHL-1530 Flat Surface Labelling Machine
- SHL-1520 Vertical Labelling Machine