Let’s look at some of the critical factors you should consider before buying chocolate panning machine.
Whether you want to learn about the features, parts, working principle, specifications or how it can benefit your chocolate production line – you will find everything right here.
Keep reading to learn more.
- What is Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What are the Key Features of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- How Does Chocolate Panning Machine Differ from Chocolate Enrobing Machine?
- Which are the Different Types of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- Which are the Main Parts of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What is the Operation Principle of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What are the Applications of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- How do you Apply Coating onto the Centers in Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What are Some of the center Options for Chocolate Panning Machine?
- Is there Standard Capacity for Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What is the Recommended Viscosity of Coating in Chocolate Panning Machine?
- Can you Perform both Hard Panning and Soft Panning with Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What is the Recommended Humidity and Ambient Temperature for Efficient Operation of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- How do you Clean the Pan of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What is the Importance of Pre-coating or Pre-gumming when Operating Chocolate Panning Machine?
- Which are the Possible Finish Options with Chocolate Panning Machine?
- What are the Advantages of Chocolate Panning Machine?
- Does the Pan Speed of Chocolate Panning Machine affect the Final Product?
- What is a Chocolate Panning Attachment?
- Why should the Coating Delivery System of Chocolate Panning Machine be Heat Jacketed?
- Do you Supply Mini Chocolate Panning Machines?
- What is your Chocolate Panning Machine Price?
- Why is Room Environment Important when using Chocolate Panning Machine?
- How do you Troubleshoot a Chocolate Panning Machine?
What is Chocolate Panning Machine?
It is a piece of electromechanical device used for coating fruits, nuts, and other food products with chocolate ingredients.
This equipment utilizes rotating drums to cover inclusions to form an aqueous or organic film around the specific food product.
The design construction of a typical chocolate panning machine incorporates numerous elements, which enhances its overall efficiency and reliability.
Chocolate panning machine is mainly used in confectionery sector for enrobing a wide range of food-related products.
However, you can also find it in other sectors such as pharmaceuticals for coating different medicinal products.
It is available in different designs, technical specifications, production capacities, and sizes based on a specific model.
Chocolate Panning Machine
What are the Key Features of Chocolate Panning Machine?
Essentially, chocolate panning equipment contains several structural and technical features. However, most of these features often vary from one model to another.
Nonetheless, it is crucial to know some of the main features of this component, which include the following;
- Compact Size; enhancing convenience, especially when transporting or shifting it from one point to another.
- Special sphere mounting system
- Cooling fan with a washable fan
- Movable and removable silicon cooling air-nozzle facilitating product processing in the tray.
- Integrated high-performance fan with duct feeding filtered air into a sphere when need be.
- Versatile; you can use it in a wide range of applications
- Easy-to-remove components making it simple to perform service and cleaning tasks.
- Digital PLC display control panel with a compact LCD/LED touchscreen
- Stainless steel framing construction
- Compatibility with new and existing lines
- Temperature control panel for regulating heat for ingredients and other performance parameters
How Does Chocolate Panning Machine Differ from Chocolate Enrobing Machine?
Ideally, both chocolate panning and enrobing machine use more or less similar operational principle in enrobing the products. Both apply chocolate ingredients to the surface of the product.
However, they both have a reasonable difference, which sets them apart as far as the entire process and final product are concerned.
Technically, chocolate coating machine showers the inclusion with layering over the top and sides. An additional layer enables the bottoms of the food product to have another coat.
In other words, this equipment facilitates ingredient application, whether liquid or powder, into food product surface. It adds a coating to the product for decorative, functional, or both purposes.
Essentially, chocolate coating equipment offers a commercial version for producing hand-dipping candies.
On the other hand, chocolate panning machine covers all sides of the particular food product evenly. It constantly turns, allowing it to create evenness since it features a pan resembling an ellipsoid.
This machine allows you to obtain signature shell coating often seen in many candy products.
Which are the Different Types of Chocolate Panning Machine?
Ordinarily, chocolate panning machines are available in different varieties based on the specific model you are purchasing. The ideal choice is often dependent on different aspects, including production volume requirements among others.
Some of the common variants of this product you are likely to find in the market include the following;
Standard Chocolate Panning Machine
It is arguably the most common variant of this machine you’ll always encounter when shopping for one in the market.
In some instances, it is referred to as a conventional chocolate panning machine featuring a metallic coating pan of a sizeable diameter. Coating process using this machine allows the supply of heated air by inlet air supply, exhausting it using air ducts.
Standard chocolate panning machine applies coating solution to products by either ladling or spraying techniques.
Perforated Chocolate Panning Machine
It is also a popular variant in the market consisting of a partial or complete perforated drum rotating horizontally on its axis. While at it, the entire machine’s system stays enclosed in a sealed housing.
Nevertheless, these two popular variants are available in fully automatic options. Of course, this is vital since it facilitates a faster and more efficient production process and volume.
The fully automatic systems also feature integrated PLC controllers for regulating different operational parameters.
Which are the Main Parts of Chocolate Panning Machine?
The key components of chocolate panning equipment include the following;
- Conche – This component is designed to polish the products by evenly distributing the chocolate ingredient.
- Melting Tank – Designed for heating and mixing different chocolate ingredients at a constant temperature for easy processing.
- Mill – It is a type of grinder for blending different materials, which operates on a principle of impact and attrition.
Size reduction in this component is triggered by impact as ingredients fall from near top of the shell.
- Tempering Machine – This is a countertop electronic mixing and heating component designed to facilitate faster and easy transfer of liquid chocolate for ensuing coating process.
It is also effective in returning a relatively frozen product to the temperature.
- Molding Unit Module – Designed to fill liquid chocolate ingredients into respective configured molds.
- Motor – It is a component, which converts electrical energy into mechanical energy.
- Blower – This part increases air velocity when passing through equipped propellers to facilitate air required for conveying, cooling, aspirating, and ventilating materials.
- Intake Manifold – It is a component, which supplies chocolate ingredients from the drum to the other stations of the equipment.
- Control unit – Features different buttons and PLC touchscreen for regulating different parameters in chocolate panning process.
- Cooling Unit – Enhances speedy, appropriate and easy cooling and solidification of chocolate ingredients to the products.
- Stand – Provides stability of the equipment throughout the production process.
- Drum – It is where the chocolate ingredients for panning are introduced into the machine for subsequent processing. In some instances, it is known as a hopper.
- Thermoregulator – Activates efficient and speedy temperature settings adjustments based on required processing conditions.
- Sensors – Relay information to the electrical computer unit to trigger the specific respective response.
What is the Operation Principle of Chocolate Panning Machine?
Notably, the entire process entails four different steps contributing to the final coating result.
Nevertheless, it is a straightforward process, which entails the following elements;
Chocolate is gradually poured over centers in a particular tumbling pan.
The chocolate panning equipment regulates speed of pans circulation and viscosity of liquid chocolate.
If you apply excess chocolate ingredients, the centers are likely to stick together, leading to a failed batch.
Tumbling action in the pan causes friction allowing it to distribute chocolate coating ingredients on every center.
The chocolate cools over time, and more chocolate is applied until a suitable chocolate ratio-to-center is attained.
What are the Applications of Chocolate Panning Machine?
You can use typical chocolate panning equipment in a wide range of applications.
However, it is commonly used in two major industries to coat different products, which include;
You can use this equipment to enrobe different products in confectionery industry such as the following;
- Dried nuts
- Plant-based protein center
It is also a common industry where the application of this machine is widespread. You can coat several medicinal products using this equipment, which include the following;
- Medicinal cookies
How do you Apply Coating onto the Centers in Chocolate Panning Machine?
Technically, you can use different methods to apply coating on the centers using this machine. The specific technique determines how coating feeds into the pan and over the inclusions.
Nonetheless, the specific method you use depends on existing machine and type of inclusions covered.
Here are the common methods you can always use;
- Ladling – This technique forms a layer, which requires a cool air treatment to set before adding more layering. It is relatively a traditional coating but requires meticulousness in applying the coating material.
- Drip Feeding – It is a technique, which relays a stream of coating onto the turning centers, which often moves constantly until they attain desired results. In the end, a single cool treatment sets the coating.
- Spraying – In this method, both coating and cool air spray onto turning pan contents simultaneously during spraying. This method best coats irregular pieces using thin chocolate covering.
What are Some of the center Options for Chocolate Panning Machine?
They are quite several, and the most suitable one is primarily dependent on the specific chocolate panned candies.
Nevertheless, the variety of center options that can be covered using chocolate panning equipment include the following;
- Dried fruits
- Peanut brittle pieces
- Roasted nuts
- Pretzel balls
- Plant protein centers
- Fruit loops
- Malted milk balls
- Corn flakes
Nonetheless, you can also use this device to pan a wide range of custom food products.
Is there Standard Capacity for Chocolate Panning Machine?
Not necessarily. Numerous elements determine specific production volume of a particular chocolate panning equipment.
For instance, the overall size influences the volume a particular panning machine yields. In essence, a more significant chocolate panning device is more likely to have higher production capacity and vice versa.
Another element, which determines production capacity of this equipment is the power rating. Power rating merely implies the amount of energy this machine uses to facilitate the overall production process.
As such, the higher the wattage of this machine, the higher the production capacity and vice versa.
Also, automation level of this machine influences the overall production capacity. Ideally, a highly automated chocolate panning machine exhibits faster processing speeds allowing it to yield high production volume.
In other words, there is no definite production capacity for a chocolate panning device. It varies from one machine to another based on many factors, including the above-mentioned ones.
What is the Recommended Viscosity of Coating in Chocolate Panning Machine?
Ordinarily, you can use a wide variety of coatings in a typical chocolate panning operation. However, the viscosity of each coating is dependent on its specific requirements.
Nonetheless, the recommended coatings viscosity should range from 120-175 M.
In case the coating does not cover the center evenly due to high viscosity, you can always add cocoa butter. It lowers the viscosity to a recommended level.
Technically, the lower the viscosity, the speedier and more homogenous the coating spreads over the centers and vice versa.
Even so, a spraying system requires lower viscosity coating compared to what a drip system needs.
In a nutshell, a suitable viscosity of coating required in chocolate panning equipment varies depending on several factors, as mentioned above.
Can you Perform both Hard Panning and Soft Panning with Chocolate Panning Machine?
Yes. However, both hard and soft panning products will require different approaches. Essentially, these include machine settings, ambient room temperature, and humidity.
What is the Recommended Humidity and Ambient Temperature for Efficient Operation of Chocolate Panning Machine?
Ordinarily, room temperature and humidity are critical aspects in determining overall efficiency of operating a chocolate panning machine.
Recommended ambient room temperature should be 55-60° F.
This temperature range allows the chocolate to set with control over airflow to individual pans. Ideally, it prevents the centers from overcooling.
On the other hand, the ideal humidity level should be about 50% RH. High humidity can easily cause rough surfaces and also needs more time to allow surface to smoothen.
The recommended humidity should be below 45% RH. However, this is often difficult to attain in many production plants, especially during summer.
How do you Clean the Pan of Chocolate Panning Machine?
Ideally, modern chocolate panning machines have a self-cleaning feature known as CIP system.
CIP is an acronym for Clean-in-Place, an automated system the machine uses to clean its interior surfaces.
With this system, you won’t necessarily need to disassemble or remove the machine’s internal components to clean.
Instead, CIP systems contain pipes and pneumatic pumps, which clean and sanitize the component hence eliminating dirt and debris from internal surfaces.
Technically, this system is triggered in a circular or continuous process as panning of the products occurs in the machine.
In a nutshell, you won’t necessarily need to clean the internal parts of this machine as long as the CIP systems are functional.
And this is fundamental since it allows you to uphold high hygiene standards, which is necessary for food handling and processing.
For the outer surfaces, all you need is to wipe using a damp microfiber cloth and a non-abrasive detergent or cleaning solution.
What is the Importance of Pre-coating or Pre-gumming when Operating Chocolate Panning Machine?
It is essential specifically because it prevents oil from getting on the surface, which is likely to cause softening of the jacket or loss of gloss.
Ordinarily, many nut products tend to experience oil migration, which can always occur within a short period. In most instances, you can attain this by sealing the center using an Arabic gum solution of about 40-50% solid.
Which are the Possible Finish Options with Chocolate Panning Machine?
The possible finishing options when using this panning equipment include the following;
- High gloss
However, altering the glazing ingredients can produce a wide range of finishes.
What are the Advantages of Chocolate Panning Machine?
This machine provides a broad range of advantages, whether for small-scale or commercial production.
Some of the main advantages include the following;
- Provides reliable and efficient food and medicinal panning solutions and guaranteeing faster and increased production capacity.
- Features a wide range of technical and structural specifications with other auxiliary equipment adequately integrated. The integration creates a seamless and solid production line.
- Offers speedy turnaround time of panning different food and pharmaceutical products thus, reducing unnecessary downtime. In essence, it saves time cost, and while at it, increasing the overall throughput and turnover.
- Has several automated functions integrated into a user-friendly human-machine interface for efficient monitoring and regulating of various parameters.
- Cuts the overall operating costs given this equipment needs few operators at a time to handle different elements of the panning process.
- Features a solid stainless steel framing construction and other food-grade materials offering incredible durability and reliability.
- Easy to clean with the in-built CIP system, thus reducing downtime and increasing throughput.
Does the Pan Speed of Chocolate Panning Machine affect the Final Product?
Yes, the ideal pan speed for standard chocolate panning equipment should be in a range of 15-25 RPM.
Essentially, the speed should be adequate to offer a suitable figure-eight motion to the centers during panning process.
Excessive pan speeds often result in breakage of centers or coatings. And this compromises the overall quality and appearance of the final product.
Industrial Chocolate Panning Equipment
What is a Chocolate Panning Attachment?
It is a piece of compact panning equipment designed for use with tabletop stand mixers. Chocolate panning attachment features a robust stainless steel material construction and an inclined stand.
The stand is flexible; thus, you can easily tilt or alter it to meet your particular requirements.
This device provides a simple, convenient, and faster way to coat a wide range of food products, albeit on a small scale.
You only need to add chocolate or any other coating ingredient into its coating pan, and the tumble obtains succulent candies.
Why should the Coating Delivery System of Chocolate Panning Machine be Heat Jacketed?
It makes it possible to maintain a constant temperature. Ideally, it is advisable to go for a water-jacketed system over an electric heat system.
Additionally, maintaining the same temperature is necessary to ensure the pump is also heat jacketed or traced. Always use a circulating ring system to supply coating to the pans.
Do you Supply Mini Chocolate Panning Machines?
Yes, our company offers a broad range of mini chocolate panning equipment of different technical and structural features.
You can always find the particular model, which suits your specific chocolate panning demands at cost-effective rates.
Additionally, we also offer customized mini chocolate panning units. And this is vital since it makes it easy for you to find a specific unit, which fits your unique chocolate panning requirements.
In this case, you need to provide a design prototype of your preferred custom mini chocolate panning machine.
We have in-house designers who can also help you develop a customized unit based on your specific requirements.
Once approved to meet all the technical, structural, and safety specifications, we go-ahead to produce the equipment.
What is your Chocolate Panning Machine Price?
A host of variables determine the actual cost of a typical chocolate panning machine.
First, the automation level and any other additional features influence the exact amount of money you’ll pay to acquire this equipment. You can find a basic unit with simple automated features at a relatively affordable rate.
However, a premium unit with hi-tech and extra automated features can be comparatively costlier.
Secondly, technical and structural specifications of a specific model also determine its actual pricing. Elements such as production capacity, power rating, and size determine the amount of money you’ll pay to obtain the equipment.
The company you are manufacturing the machine from is another fundamental variable determining its precise cost. Relatively popular brands tend to be a bit expensive than less known companies.
Even so, it does not necessarily imply that the latter hardly manufacturers quality chocolate panning machines. And most importantly, customization requirements for a particular chocolate panning machine to suit your unique demands.
Customized units are generally more expensive than standard designs. Of course, the latter entails intensive labor and additional production setup, which at times tend to be costly.
Nonetheless, you can find a chocolate panning device with basic features starting from US $1,000 – 5,000. This is mostly used for small-scale chocolate panning production.
But for premium and hi-tech units, a fair starting price ranges from $ US 15,000 and above. Most of these variants are used in commercial settings and laboratories.
Why is Room Environment Important when using Chocolate Panning Machine?
There are two main reasons why room environment is a vital aspect when using a chocolate panning machine;
- Facilitates faster gross-up times and speedier gums and glazes settings.
- Reinforces the surface for a glossier shine.
How do you Troubleshoot a Chocolate Panning Machine?
Occasionally, you may experience intermittent inefficiencies when operating this machine or on the final product. The causes are often wide-ranging and also tend to have various solutions.
Chocolate Panning Machine
Some of the common issues and respective troubleshooting actions include the following;
- Bumpy Coating – Often due to too much cold air, thick chocolate, or center too cold.
The ideal troubleshooting actions include reducing airflow, using lower viscosity chocolate and cutting off air, and allowing product to warm, respectively.
- Inadequate Coverage – Usually caused by varying sizes.
You can solve this issue by regulating pan speed, starting with high viscosity chocolate or sizing the center and pan separately.
- Crushed Centers – Arise from overload pans, but the ideal way to handle it is by reducing pan load for delicate centers.
- Excessively Thick Chocolate – The leading causes for this condition include high humidity, wet air spraying, low-temperature chocolate, and high viscosity chocolate.
Solving this condition requires reducing chocolate viscosity, checking air filters, and increasing chocolate temperature.
- Chocolate not Covering – Could be due to high air temperature, too warm centers, oil on centers, or too thin chocolate.
Troubleshooting interventions include using pre-coat centers, reducing temperature air, reducing chocolate temperature, and cooling centers up to 50° F.
- Chocolate Peeling Off – Possible causes include cold chocolate, soft centers, faster pan speed, and overloading pans.
Solving this inconsistency includes adding warm chocolate relatively fast, reducing center weight in a pan, and reducing pan speed to 25 RPM.
- Blooming and Sweating – Usually caused by when the equipment accumulates a large quantity of residual moisture. Troubleshooting this condition requires setting the machine to attain the correct moisture levels.
- Non-Drying of the Coating – Usually caused by using a formulation with excessive levels of invert sucrose.
You can always solve it by avoiding excessive heating of sucrose syrups at high-temperature levels for prolonged periods.
At SaintyCo, we help you get the best chocolate machines depending on your production requirements.
Contact us now for all your chocolate panning machine.